Thursday, January 6, 2011

Slow Cooker Chicken & Wild Rice Soup with Quick Drop Biscuits

I'm not a winter person. I was born and raised in Utah where it's cold and snowy (I know, there are worse places). So I was ecstatic when I met and married someone who, although he was from Utah also, didn't like the cold or the snow either (or sports!!). Yay for me!
But I do admit I do like some cold weather things- sweaters, fires, and soup. I LOVE soup. This recipe for Chicken & Wild Rice soup comes from a family cookbook my cute sister-in-law put together for us a couple of years ago. I love slow cooker recipes that don't require any pre-cooking. I used some leftover cooked chicken breast from the other night, but I have also used store-bought rotisserie chicken. The soup comes together in no time and is loved by my family (especially my kids). Paired with Cooking Light's Drop Biscuits, this meal makes me feel like it's winter (even though it was sunny and 67 today). :)
Slow Cooker Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
adapted from Shauna Williams
Ingredients
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 (4.3-ounce) package Long Grain & Wild Rice (Rice A Roni)
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced cooked chicken breast
3 cups water


Combine soup, rice, vegetables and chicken in a slow cooker. Add 2 cups of water. Mix well. Cook on high for 3 1/2 hours. Stir in remaining cup of water and cook another 1/2 hour. Serve.


Drop Biscuits
adapted from Cooking Light
Ingredients
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cold butter, cut in pieces
1 cup skim milk
Cooking spray


Preheat over to 450 degrees F. Spray a standard muffin tin with cooking spray.
In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in butter pieces until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Ad milk, stirring only until moist. Spoon into muffin tins. Bake 12 minutes, until golden.

2 comments:

  1. For sure this is comfort food at its best. It's almost like a chicken pot pie. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to make this tonight! I have a similar recipe that I love, but anything in the crock-pot trumps it on a busy day!

    ReplyDelete