Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Brownie Pudding

Do you have Souplantation (in other places called Sweet Tomatoes) where you live? I hope so. I first went there years ago and I thought, "What? Eight bucks for a salad bar? No, thanks!" Then when my brother and I lived together in Los Angeles, we would go together and I started loving it. Now, we take our kids there and they absolutely love it (but it's more than 8 bucks). One of my favorite things there is the Chocolate Lava Cake- chocolate cake on top of gooey, chocolatey pudding. Paired with their nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt (and, ok, I confess, sometimes toffee bits), it's so yummy. And since you just ate a bunch of salad, it's ok, right?
Anyway, I found a recipe that's very similar to Chocolate Lava Cake. I just stumbled upon it in my BHG cookbook. I was looking for a dessert to serve guests last night. Since I had all the ingredients for this, it won. First, you make a one-bowl brownie batter. Pour it in a greased baking dish. Then mix together boiling water, cocoa powder, and boiling water. Pour it over the batter and bake.

Some kind of magic happens and the brownie rises to the top, the pudding sinks to the bottom and you have a yummy dessert! This has to be served warm with either whipped cream or ice cream. The oatmeal chocolate chip cookie ice cream we ate it with was PERFECT!

Chocolate Brownie Pudding
adapted from Better Homes and Gardens

Ingredients
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cupc granulated sugar
  • 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 4 tablespoons cooking oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 3 cups boiling water
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • Ice cream for serving

Directions

1. Grease a 13x9-inch baking pan. Set aside.

2. In a medium bowl stir together the flour, granulated sugar, the 4 tablespoons cocoa powder, the baking powder, and salt. Stir in the milk, oil, and vanilla. Pour into the prepared pan.

3. In another medium bowl stir together the brown sugar and the cocoa powder. Stir in the boiling water; slowly pour over batter in pan.

4. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes. Let stand for 20-25 minutes to allow pudding to set. Serve warm with ice cream. Makes 10-12 servings.

1 comment:

  1. Now here's a kind of magic I'd LOVE to see and do myself!! The pudding looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete