Thursday, February 3, 2011

Simple Fried Brown Rice

In the seemingly never-ending quest to feed my kids healthier food, we bought brown calrose rice from Costco last week. My husband and I like brown rice, but I wasn't sure if our kids would feel the same way. For those of you who don't know, brown rice is considered "whole grain" because the husk is still in tact. Brown rice and white rice have similar calorie, carbohydrate and protein amounts, but brown rice is much higher in vitamins.
I make this rice as a quick, go-to dinner. You can alter in many different ways- adding different vegetables or meat. I've made it with ham or pork; I always have frozen peas and corn on hand, but I've thrown in broccoli and carrots as well. I find this recipe is a good way to get my kids to eat vegetables since they're all mixed together.. and a little soy sauce doesn't hurt, either!
Simple Fried Rice
2 slices bacon (or 1 cup diced ham, cubed pork, etc.)
2 cups cooked brown rice, cold
3 eggs
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup frozen shelled edamame
5 T of low-sodium soy sauce

In a large skillet, cook the bacon on medium heat until crisp. Remove from pan and place on paper towels to drain. Wipe the skillet with a paper towel and add the cooked brown rice. Return the pan to medium heat and fry the rice for 2 minutes. Move the rice to one side of the pan, and add the eggs to the other side. Scramble the eggs for a minute, then stir in the rice, mixing until the rice and eggs are combined. Let cook until the eggs are no longer wet, stirring occasionally.
Add the peas, corn, edamame and soy sauce. Cover and let cook 3-4 minutes, until vegetables are warmed through. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. What an easy, great way to sneak in some extra veggies and fiber. I'll have to add it to my menu soon.

    ReplyDelete