Tuesday, October 26, 2010

TWD- All-American, All-Delicious (Caramel) Apple Pie

Apple pie is a funny dessert for me. When I think of it, I always think "ew." But whenever I get the courage to eat it, I think it's fairly good. Apple pie reminds me of my grandmother- it was her absolute favorite. Maybe I think it's an elderly person's dessert. Dunno.
 This week's TWD is for regular apple pie. I added a caramel syrup to it. Dorie's pie crust is my absolute favorite. It comes together in a couple minutes in the food processor (note to self: a double crust does NOT fit in your food processor), and is so buttery and flaky.
I topped it with cinnamon and sugar, which added a nice little crunch to the pie. This recipe uses a lot of lemon zest- 1 full lemon. I used about half that and my husband (granted, he has ultra sensitive taste buds) said it tasted like a lemon bar with apples.
Even for not loving apple pie, this recipe is a keeper. Easy to make and delicious! A great holiday pie! Sandmuffin has the recipe!

  • 1 cup sugar
  1. Heat sugar and 1 cup water in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves and comes to a boil. Continue cooking, brushing down the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush but without stirring, until mixture becomes golden amber in color.
  2. Immediately remove from heat and add 1 cup water. Return to heat and continue stirring until mixture becomes liquid. Transfer to a heatproof container and let cool completely before using.

5 comments:

  1. The caramel syrup seems like an excellent addition to this pie. I love Dorie's crust, too. The hardest part is having to do it in stages because of the size of my FP. Well worth the effort, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm a lemon bar with apples sounds delicious! I forgot I didn't have a lemon so squeezed a bit of juice in from one of those plastic lemons. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. the caramel syrup sounds like a fabulous addition! Thanks for baking along with me this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im loving that caramel sauce idea! your pie looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm caramel sauce homemade :) unbeatable. xoxo Tia @ Buttercreambarbie

    ReplyDelete