Tuesday, September 29, 2009

TWD- Chocolate-Crunched Caramel Tart

The picture of this week's TWD looks so amazing. I've been wanting to make it ever since I bought the book. Unfortunately, we don't normally have nuts in my house so I never got around to making it. So of course I was excited when Carla of Chocolate Moosey picked it for this week. Caramel, peanuts, chocolate ganache in a flaky tart? YUM!
The recipe is broken into three parts- the tart dough, the caramel, and the ganache. The tart is pretty straight forward- it all comes together in a food processor. I used a springform pan because I don't have a tart pan (I know, I need to get one!).
The caramel component was problematic for me. It doesn't require a thermometer- accroding to the instructions, you can just judge by the way the mixture looks. I let my cook too long- it ended up greasy and clumpy. So the second time I made it, I skipped the last 2 minute cook and took it off the heat after adding the cream. It worked great- a smooth, workable caramel that spread easily in the tart.The ganache was beautiful- shiny, smooth. I couldn't wait to try it.
I know I might get some flak here, but I wasn't crazy about it. I didn't think the caramel/peanut layer made enough of a showing- the inch of ganache overshadowed it so it just tasted like chocolate tart. Maybe it was because I made it in a nonconforming pan? Next time I would prefer a thicker caramel/peanut layer and a thinner ganache layer. Head to Carla's blog for the recipe!

5 comments:

  1. Too bad it was a bit of a letdown for you. It looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry you didn't care for it.

    I loved it.

    Of course I didn't put as much ganache on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm I think I agree..More carmel to chocolate ratio would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that's a bummer! It looks delicious, though, and in my book there's nothing wrong with an intensely chocolatey tart anyhow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son said same - more caramel, less ganache. But it ws still good.

    ReplyDelete