Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sweet & Sour Tofu

I'm always looking for meatless recipes. Now that summer is here, we eat grilled meat several times a week because that means my husband cooks! Tofu is usually my go-to meat substitute because my kids won't eat very many vegetables. This Cooking Light recipe is quick and easy, and has a pretty authentic sweet & sour flavor. The recipe only serves two, so keep that in mind if you're cooking for a family. Served over hot white or brown rice, this is a great way to change up your routine!Sweet & Sour Tofu
adapted from from Cooking Light
1 pkg (12.3 oz) extrafirm tofu
1 t canola oil

1/4 t salt
, divided
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch strips

1 t fresh ginger, minced
3/4 c unsweetened pineapple juice, divided
1 t corn starch

2 T lemon juice
1 1/2 T low-sodium soy sauce
1 t sugar
1/4 t chili garlic sauce

2 T chopped fresh cilantro
1 1/2 c hot rice
Cut tofu into 6 pieces. Arrange tofu on a single layer on sev
eral layers of paper towels. Cover tofu with more paper towels; place a cutting board on top and let sit 15 minutes. Remove cutting board and paper towels. Cut tofu into 1/2-inch cubes.
Heat oil in nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Add tofu and sprinkle with1/8 t salt. Cook 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Transfer tofu to a plate. Add ginger and bell pepper to pan and saute 2 minutes until tender.
Combine 2 teaspoons pineapple juice and cornstarch in a small bowl. Set aside. Add remaining juice to pan; stir in remaining salt, lemon juice, soy sauce, sugar and chili garlic sauce. Add cornstarch mixture; stir well. Bring to a boil and cook 1 minute. Return tofu to pan, stirring gently to coat. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro. Serve over hot r
ice.

Happy Father's Day to the fathers in my life!
My dad:

and my husband:

3 comments:

  1. Sweet and sour tofu sounds delicious> I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good! I used to be vegetarian and ate tofu religiously...since going back to chicken it's fallen out of regular rotation. I might have to pick some up at the store next time!

    Also, cute pictures of the dads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I've been loving the CL stir fry's lately, so I think I'll have to add this one to the pile.

    ReplyDelete