Tuesday, March 23, 2010

TWD-Dulce de Leche Duos

Well, after joining Tuesdays with Dorie over a year and a half ago, it's my turn to pick the recipe!!
I chose Dulce de Leche Duos. Dulce de leche means "candied milk" in Spanish. Those of you not familiar with it, it's really just sweetened condensed milk boiled for a long time until it's thick, dark and caramel-y. I made it once in the oven for a gelato recipe, but I prefer buying it in the can.

This recipe is dulce de leche sandwiched between two dulce de leche flavored cookies. The cookies are straight forward and come together in a few minutes.
After I dropped them all on the pans and started baking them, I realized I made them too big. They flattened out quite a bit (I baked them while I was out of town in a MUCH higher elevation).

So there was quite a bit more surface area to spread the dulce de leche. Can't complain about that.
These are so yummy if you like dulce de leche. The cookies are soft and warm with caramel flavor, and the smooth, creamy dulce de leche filling is great little surprise in the middle. In the "Playing Around" section, Dorie suggests using chocolate ganache filling or dipping the cookie bottoms in chocolate before spreading the dulce de leche. I think this would make them ultra-sweet, as dulce de leche could give you a toothache by itself.
This girl loved them. After this picture was taken, I spent 5 minutes scrubbing dulce de leche off her face.
Dulce de Leche Duos
by Dorie Greenspan from Baking From My Home to Yours

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
2 sticks (8 oz) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cups store-bought dulce de leche, plus more for filling
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs

Position the racks to divide the oven into thirds and preheat the oven 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment or silicone mats.
 Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter at medium speed until soft. Add the 3/4 cup of dulce de leche and both sugars and continue to beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition. Don't be concerned if the mixture looks a little curdled- it will smooth out when the flour mixture goes in. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients, mixing only until they disappear into the batter.
Spoon the dough onto the baking sheets, using a heaping teaspoon of dough for each cookie and leaving 2 inches between them.
Bake the cookies 10 to 12 minutes, rotating the pans from top to bottom and front the back at the midway point. The cookies should be honey brown with a light sugar crust, but they will still be soft, so remove the sheets from the oven but don't touch the cookies for another minute or two. Then, using a wide metal spatula, transfer the cookies to a rack to cool to room temperature.
Repeat with the remaining dough, making sure you cool the baking sheets before spooning the dough onto them.
When the cookies are completely cool, spread the flat bottoms of half the cookies with a small amount of dulce de leche, and sandwich with the flat sides of the remaining cookies.
Makes about 30 sandwich cookies

59 comments:

  1. Thanks for choosing such a great recipe, I love dulce de leche too. Cute pic of your little cookie monster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made a great choice on this one. The name of these cookies caught my attention as soon as I bought the book. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for picking this one! If I hadn't picked the scherben, I would have picked these! They were phenomenal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these cookies. Thanks for choosing them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great pick this week! I had to scrape the dulce de leche off my own face! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the wonderful selection of recipes this week! I am so glad you picked this recipe, cus they tasted yummy and I learned out to make homemade Dulce de leche!
    Your cookies look great and Im sure your sweet daughter loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm, big cookies. They look yummy. Thanks for the great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous pick.

    I loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know if you know this, but dulce de leche is high on my list of favorite desserts. I'm going to have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning Jodie! I really enjoyed making this recipe. Your little one looks like she enjoyed eating them! So nice to stop by and visit with you for TWD. You made a great pick!

    Kindly, ldh

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome pick! I loved these and so do my coworkers, and kids, and husband. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man, I can totally imagine how long it would take to wash sticky dulce de leche off of a kid's face! Hehe. I thought these were fantastic. (By the way, you're missing the salt in the ingredient list!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your cookies look amazingly "tidy". I'm impressed. I had to throw my big batch away. Very yummy cookies though. Love your topsy turvy cake too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what a great pick and a great job! I am gonna make these this week. I will post late, but better late than never... These look right up my alley. I love simple and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great pick. I am a fellow dulce de leche fan and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, thank you, thank you, for this pick. Everyone who had 1 cookie had to have another cookie, and another...so you know they didn't last long. Your cookies look good and such a cute pic of your daughter eating them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great choice! I might not have made these because they're not chocolate, but we loved them a lot. I shouldn't have been surprised, since dulce de leche ice cream is one of our favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great pick! These cookies were wonderful. I spent some time trying to wipe the dulce de leche off MY face!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was a yummy, simple recipe and we all loved it- thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  20. great pick! loved every one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your cookies look wonderful, and thanks for a great pick! I totally screwed these up, and I can only blame myself. Maybe I need to try these again, as I love dulce de leche.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These were by far one of the best cookies - thanks for making such a great choice - looks like they were enjoyed by all (love that photo of the little one)! What a cookie monster! :)

    mike
    TWD blog:
    web.me.com/mikejdunlap

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy TWD week! I gave myself the challenge of making my own dulche de leche and am glad I found a method that worked for me. I probably never would've tried these or make my owm DDL, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great pick! What a delicious recipe! - mary the food librarian

    ReplyDelete
  25. My husband's coworkers thank you but my hips don't! These cookies were fabulous. I'm not a big cookie person so who knows if I ever would have baked these up myself. But I'm so glad I did. I think I ate my weight in dulce de leche. Oops! Thanks for hosting this week.
    -CB
    http://iheartfood4thought.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. These were amazing, thank you for picking them!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your little sweetie with her sweets! This was a fun choice: easy cookies and a chance to experiment with making dulce de leche. Great pick!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a great choice - and your little one seems to agree!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a cute picture! This was a fun pick. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great pick. I didn't even notice Dorie suggested using ganache for filling. I had to because the dulce de leche I made was so thin. Super tasty though!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ciao Jodie ! Thank you for choosing this very easy and good recipe !!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Il tuo italiano è fantastico !! Hai vissuto qui?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for the great pick this week. We enjoyed the cookies, but homemade dulce de leche was incredible.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  34. great pick! I loved these cookies!! Yours look great!! I am in love with dulce de leche!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your cookies look great and love your little cookie critic! Great choice. I look forward to trying them some time.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great selection, Jodie! This recipe is definitely a keeper!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great pick this week, Jodie. I love when I get to try new recipes that I might not have otherwise.
    I thought they were great with chocolate. I actually tried one with Nutella in the center today and thought it was GREAT.

    ReplyDelete
  38. For me the bittersweet chocolate actually helped cut the sweetness---a little bit. Adorable taster you've got there.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for the great pick! I liked these a lot, and this was the first time I've baked with dulce de leche.

    ReplyDelete
  40. YUM!!! Great Pick! I LOVED baking and eating these!

    ReplyDelete
  41. thanks for choosing this great recipe! i really loved these!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks for hosting this week Jodie! It was my first encounter with dulce de leche! I really loved these cookies on their own but thought they were a bit too sweet when sandwiched with the DDL. Great pic of your little girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. These cookies really did spread! They were really good, thank you for choosing this recipe! I've wanted to make them for over 2 years now! Cute picture of your little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Great pick!! These sure were good and gave me the chance to taste dulce de leche for the first time in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thnak you so much for hosting this week! I'm so sorry I had to do a rewind this week, didn't have the ingredients. Still want to make them though!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Great pick! Thanks for an awesome cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Great pick, Jodie! I was surprised how big a hit these were. I love the last picture. My 7yo wasn't thrilled with the cookies, but my 3yo loved them. =)

    ReplyDelete
  48. This was a GREAT pic. Had fun making them and more fun eating.

    Most are frozen. They were just too tempting.

    i've been boiling cans of condensed milk for years, but never thot to make cookies with it.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Great choice - they were quite good and didn't last around here for more than 48 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Great picture of your little girl! Thanks for choosing this one. It was on my short list of ones I wanted to pick as well. I really enjoyed these, especially with some ganache!

    ReplyDelete
  51. These are really delicious! Who could resist the richness of dulce de leches? I know I can't :-)

    Sawadee from Bangkok,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  52. The cookies are delicious, thanks for the great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  53. this recipe was a winner--thanks for the pick! looks like your little girl was quite pleased as well!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Nice pick for this week, a lot of people enjoyed them! Cookies look great!

    ReplyDelete
  55. First off, your daughter is darling.

    Secondly, fun pick! They admittedly weren't my favorite, but I do love me some DDL so it was great to have an excuse to make it and have some in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Great choice, I loved these cookies! The photo of your happy taste-tester is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Thank you for picking these - I loved them! I love your photos - especially your daughter - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  58. sorry i'm dropping by so late--i meant to come much earlier! thanks so much for picking these cookies for your turn. they were delicious--i loved them!

    HappyTummy

    ReplyDelete