Monday, February 16, 2009

TWD- Devil's Food White Out Cake

Like other TWD-er's, I was looking forward to making the cover cake of the wonderful book we're using. It looks so wonderful- but I was in for a surprise skimming through the recipe. Cocoa powder AND chocolate chunks? YES! I was a little disappointed that the frosting is the seven-minute frosting type- marshmallowy and light. I was hoping for something more along the richer, creamier lines. But the cake did not disappoint. Moist and chocolatey- wonderful. I would like to try it with a different frosting, though.
I halved the recipe and made it in a 6" pan. One of the layers wasn't thick enough to split in two, so there aren't any crumbs on the outside. Check out Stephanie's blog for the recipe!

8 comments:

  1. Your cake looks lovely even without the crumbs! I agree with your assessment of the frosting - I was a little disappointed too. The cake was great though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like your cakes tured out beautifilly even without the crumbs! :) A thick creamy frosting would probably be great with this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so pure without all of the crumbs.

    I think this cake would be great with a heavy chocolate icing as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it without the crumbs. It looks so fresh and breezy. It is harder to NOT get crumbs on white. I think your cake looks scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fabulous in the pictures. Next time, I would definitely try a different frosting, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks like a snowy dream :)
    well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cake looks wonderful. I love the look of the plain white too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cake is so cute! I think it is so versatile...crumbs, no crumbs, big, small, etc.

    ReplyDelete