Monday, October 6, 2008

Hamburger & Hot Dog Cupcakes

These are my husband's favorite cupcakes. Chocolatey, dense and not-too-sweet. The hot dogs and hamburger decorations were for a BBQ we had with friends. Topped with simple almond buttercream (that was supposed to be red, but I got tired of thinning the gel food color to make it red enough!).Chocolate Cupcakes
Adapted from Everyday Food
Ingredients
Makes 12
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream
Frosting of choice
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners.
Into a medium bowl, sift together cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each, then beat in vanilla. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with sour cream and beginning and ending with flour.
Pour batter into cups, filling each 3/4 full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
Cool in pan 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, then frost and decorate as desired.

3 comments:

  1. So cute, I loved them. Once again, I will praise your creativity! Oh and please do copy my hooks, I would be flattered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those look wonderful. I love chocolate cake with sour cream in the batter. I love those decorations-perfect for a BBQ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! They look so good. Once again I'm sure you amazed your guests!

    ReplyDelete